Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Rabbi Benson's Initial Statement on Iran Deal

Text of Statement:
Fellow Congregants.  Like me, I’m sure many of you are following closely the developments tied to the recent “Iran Nuclear Deal” agreed by the United States and her Allies with Iran.

And also like me, I am sure many of you have concerns for what the impact of this agreement will be on the safety of Israel and the safety of the world.  Without wanting to speak before knowing as much as I can, I will say the early indications leave me feeling troubled. 

In an effort to learn more, I am participating in phone conference set up by the Rabbinical Assembly tomorrow with leading Middle East experts to unpack for us rabbis the meaning of this deal. 

I expect to address the subject this Shabbat morning in shul.  Further discussion and any action we as a congregation choose to take regarding this matter, will be communicated to you in due time.

For now, I am sure you all join with me in praying the words from the Prophet Isaiah:

L’ma’an Zion lo eh-che-sheh, u’lma’an Yerushalayim lo esh-kot, “for the sake of Zion I will not be silent for the sake of Jerusalem I will not rest, till her righteousness shines and her salvation blazes.”

I look forward to seeing you all on Shabbat.

No comments:

Post a Comment